From: Mateusz Viste <mate...@nospam.viste.fr>

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 23:21:26 +0200, Eric Auer wrote:
> For checking if downloads worked without noise, I would already want
> something "stronger" than BSUM, such as
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher%27s_checksum

As already stated in this thread a few times, the BSD checksum is far
from perfect - its major advantage is that it's extremely simple, hence
fast to compute even on a 8088, yet at the time it is reasonable to
assume in normal conditions (ie. no malicious intent) that a file that
shows the same BSD checksum before and after a transfer is indeed the
same file.

Still, since you mention "stronger" algorithms, it might be interesting
(if not entertaining) to see how the BSD checksum compares in terms of
collisions to other algorithms like CRC16, CRC32, Fletcher, etc. I did
try to google that out, but unfortunately the BSD checksum is rarely
mentioned in this kind of research. Would you mind sharing some links
that explain how much stronger the other algorithms are, and what are the
actual chances of hitting a collision by accident with BSUM?

Mateusz

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net