Hello there,

I'm not an active user of FreeDOS, so I'm only
a listener on this channel, just for curiosity.

Regarding 'apropos' and 'whatis' and their relatives:
these commands are related to manual pages, it's all
Unix philosophy. If you have a Linux around, try

        man whatis

and

        whatis whatis

and you'll know everything. In my view, 'man'
is much easier to use than 'info' (Linux).

'whatis' and 'apropos' search a database created
from a collection of man pages by 'makewhatis'.
Look at

        man makewhatis

for an explanation.

'Whatis' looks for complete word matches,
'apropos' for any matches in the database,
that's the only difference (in my understanding).
Thus 'Apropos' may produce a great amount of
output.

I find these commands very useful for looking
around on an unknown system (or a known system
after a substantial update ;-), combined with
'grep' to filter out references that are really
relevant for my search.

All this is essentially for people who already
know what's there or what should be there, not
really for novices. If you like browser-style
help, you will probably dislike man pages and
their relatives. Just a matter of taste. I wouldn't
consider them elementary in the sense of something
that should be part of a BASE distribution, in
that I agree with Ralf.

DJGPP had man pages and also 'whatis' and such,
if I'm not mistaken. It's many many years ago
I was running  DJGPP on MS-DOS 6.22. Marvellous
times, everything was so simple and easy.

Keep the FreeDOS project up and thriving!

Best wishes to all,
Jiri

_________________________
Jiri Wackermann, Dr.phil.