What hardware? That of course needs an 80386 or newer CPU.
Another thing is any drivers loaded in config.sys and autoexec.bat have to be
compatible with 386 enhanced mode. The OAK CD-ROM driver and later MS-DOS
MSCDEX should be compatible. IIRC old sound card drivers were pretty bad about
being 32bit incompatible. Some mouse drivers also had the problem.

Windows 3.11 (OEM release between 3.1 and WFWG 3.11) has either 32bit disk or
32bit file access, I can never remember which. Either way it's useless because
both are needed (which only WFWG 3.11 has) to do any speed improving. 32bit
incompatible drivers in config.sys and autoexec.bat can prevent both using 386
enhanced mode and 32bit disk and file access.

    On Monday, February 19, 2018, 2:54:18 PM MST, jamie marchant