On 6/21/2018 5:36 PM, Schoenfelder, Tim M wrote:

I am currently away from my FreeDOS programming stuff, I could send you some diagnostic tool either tomorrow or over the weekend...
Is it a known tool?

To me, yes ;-) I have written it, but haven't used it in years, the last time to track down some issues with (PCI) add-on RS-232 cards in computers that came without any serial port (USB only)...
You are very accomplished!

Well,... I am programming and in general "playing" with computers for 42 years this month. And almost 37 years of that with DOS, in various forms... ;-)

And all you need to configure any serial port,if it would be in any form, shape or color DOS (not only FreeDOS!) compatible in the first place would be the MODE command. But it seems kind of odd to have an UEFI based PC that still has true RS-232 serial ports... :?
The preferred PCs were ordered with these com ports.

Are they on-board or are those ports on any kind of add-on cards? In case of the later, they might use most certainly non-(DOS/IBM-PC)-standard ports... (none of 2E8h, 3E8h, 2F8h, 3F8h)

I added a PCI card to only one of the handful of PCs that I’ve tested.  The rest (as old of PCs as I could find) already had a RS232 port built into the motherboard.  About half of the PCs were HP and about half were Dell.  The two newest PCs use a motherboard header to drive what appears to be a small PC board based RS232 connector (These were put on by the manufacturer and one of the two ports tested to work with FreeDOS at the manufacturer’s site).

Ouch! That sounds as if you might not actually have a proper DOS compatible RS-232 port, with a (to DOS/DOS programs) known UART, but some USB-to-RS232 converter, which "kind of" usually work in Windows. Ran into such things when active in an Arduino user group here in town....
What kind of proof/log that those ports "work in FreeDOS" did they provide?

I’ve installed FreeDOS and tested DOS serial communications on a number of different modern PCs at my company to date in relation to this project.  Additionally, the manufacturer tested serial communication on one of the ports of these preferred PCs under FreeDOS.  The person who did that testing left the company before I got back to their support personnel about it though.

The PCs were instead ordered with Windows 10 though.  I just checked two different makes/models of the UEFI PCs.  They both have standard interrupts assigned to serial ports.  The HP machine allows me to change the interrupts though.  I’ve also tried using  the mode command to configure the serial port.  Attempting to send ‘hello’ still errors as described in my initial email though.

Well, that would be my next question, in regards to find out what ports they are using, as to what they are showing in the Windows 10 device manager as the port address. That would be more important than the interrupt.

When I use a CMD window on the windows 10 disk, I “>echo hello > com1” worked fine.  However, I will try different ports on FreeDOS (My DOS application only supports com1 & com2).

Again, what is important would be to find that port address in the device manager. COM1 in that case should show up under "Ports (COM & LPT)", the the properties for COM1. Unfortunately, I do not have any Windows 10 computer around that has any serial (or parallel) ports anymore here where I could post some sample info as to how this could look right now...

Ralf

---