Hi Jon,

some extra details: There was a VBE sound BIOS extension,
but basically nobody used it, in any case no games I know.

And there was a project to create a virtual soundblaster,
which is mirrored on https://auersoft.eu/soft/by-others/
but it is more like a draft of implementing some very
basic functionality. In the general case, it is a lot
better to use dosbox or dosemu which specifically have
"simulate a soundblaster and output the sound using the
drivers of the host operating system" as features while
also simulating other DOS friendly hardware and adding
a lot of DOS related extras which generic virtual PC
type software would not offer.
As far as I remember, VSB uses built-in protected mode
code to trap soundblaster I/O, making it incompatible
to protected mode / DOS extenders / EMM386, but it could
be modified to use EMM386-provided I/O trapping. Which
in turn is not yet supported by the EMM386 in FreeDOS.

Regards, Eric