The Teac USB floppy drive I have seems to work in Windows ME, uge! I took the
ISA multi I/O card out. Freedos could really use USB floppy and
USB cdrom support. USB hard drive support would also be very nice. DOS without
floppy drives just isn't DOS. Anymore, you cannot get floppy
drives. They have been replaced by zip drives, cdrom drives, dvd drives, Blu
Ray drives, LS120 drives etcetera. Modern PC's don't even typically
support or even have floppy drives as usb flash drives have replaced them.
Unfortunately, 20 years ago floppy drives were ubiquitous and software
was designed around them including especially industrial computers. Because
programs like QSoft which depend on a DOS based real time system
require floppy support to set the dos side up... and the source code is
proprietary... Computers like the EVOC that can only use USB floppy drives
may not work. Freedos doesn't like the USB floppy drive complaining that it
reports 0 sectors/track and when I try to format a floppy I get Critical
error duing int 13 disk access... Seek failed. Highly likely as the EVOC does
not have a traditional floppy controller that it does not provide the
typical BIOS interface. Assuming the floppy emulation is standard, there should
be the possibility of a TSR or a new kernel that can detect and
use USB floppy drives and CDROM/hard drives. I have a USB 128 gig M disc drive
that is also a 3D blu ray drive that I can boot freedos from,
but I cannot run the live system fully. Freedos expects an IDE ATAPI or
possibly a SATA ATAPI drive, not a USB ATAPI drive.
If someone could increase freedos's support for USB storage devices, that would
be ideal.

Clearly, USB floppy drives are not something freedos handles well. Might be a
buggy AMI bios in this Chinese sourced EVOC, but Teac USB
floppy drives are common.

March 8, 2020 7:06 PM, mich...@robinson-west.com