Research suggests that ACPI breaks ISA floppy in Windows XP... I wonder if ACPI
is breaking Freedos 1.3 as well?

BIOS SETUP UTILITY

v02.58 (C)Copyright 1985-2004, American Megatrends, Inc.

AMIBIOS
Version : 08.00.12
Build Date: 05/26/07
ID: J8472006

Under Advanced -> Floppy Configuration

Floppy A 1.44 MB 3 1/2"
Floppy B Disabled

Under Advanced -> SuoperIO Configuration

OnBoard Floppy Controller Disabled
Floppy Drive Swap Disabled
Serial Port1 Address 3F8/IRQ4
Serial Port2 Address 2F8/IRQ3