On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 12:34 PM ZB <zbigniew2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 12:15:04PM -0400, dmccunney wrote:
>
> > My old 32 bit desktop has a half height combo 3.5"/5.25" floppy drive.
> > It was originally seen as drives A: and B:, and which was seen as
> > which was controlled by a jumper setting on the drive.  That went away
> > in an emergency motherboard replacement.  The new mobo would see only
> > *one* of the drives as A:, and I had to pull the drive and change the
> > jumper setting if I wanted to access the 5.25" drive instead of the
> > 3.5" drive.
>
> Indeed it seems to be the same "feature".

Yes.

> > The new machine doesn't have floppy slots on the mobo, so while I have
> > the drive I can't hook it up.  I *do* have a USB 3.5" floppy drive
> > which is seen as A: when connected and works fine, but I have no
> > current way to access 5.25" diskettes.  (I have some old stuff I'd
> > *like* to access)
>
> Yes, I had similar problem a few years ago... finally I just prepared long
> cables to connect big FDD as kind of "external drive". ;)

Won't help here.  What would I connect those long cables *to*?

> > (For that matter, I still have my original XT clone on a shelf, with
> > two 20*MB* Seagate MFM hard drives where the drives do not have
> > onboard controllers and connect to a card on the mobo.  I'd *love* the
> > get the contents of the drives copied to a USB flash drive, but
> > haven't found a way to do it.)
>
> A solution exists:
>
>  http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-projects/xt-cf-lite

Not a solution for me.  The XT clone is an *XT* clone.  That's an IDE
CF Adaptor card, and the old XT clone doesn't have IDE slots.  It
predates IDE.

The old 32 bit desktop has them, but has other problems. I multi
booted WinXP and Linux.  The NTFS partition with Windows is damaged
and I haven't been able to cure it.  It *will* boot Linux, but I can
only access the Linux partition and an IDE CF card won't work.  Even
if it could, I still wouldn't be able to access 5.25 floppy drives,
and the stuff I want to get off the old MFM Seagate drives in the XT
isn't on any of my preserved floppies.

I have feelers out to folks who also have old hardware.  I suspect I
can solve the problem by throwing money at it, and shipping the
Seagate drives to a contractor who can extract the contents and save
it to a USB flash drive.  Once that's done, the old XT clone can go
away.  (The XT clone hasn't even been booted in 20 years, and there
are no security concerns about anything on the drives.  The XT *will
boot - I believe I still have a compatible keyboard and I can plug a
monitor into the VGA port.  But I had to have the case open and a fan
blowing on it the last time I booted it because another card had
overheating problems, and even if I boot it and copy data off to 5.25"
floppies, I have no way to read them.  It predates the Internet and I
can't connect it to my local network, nor is there anything I can call
via a modem and upload to.)

I appreciate the pointers, but they don't address my issue.
______
Dennis