On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 3:30 PM Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

> > Yes!  Please send them somewhere to be scanned and OCRed!  Get in touch
> > with Al Kossow of the Computer History Museum in Sunnyvale CA.  See
> > http://www.bitsavers.org/ and http://www.bitsavers.org/.
>
> Nah I do not want to get in trouble with Microsoft by sending
> them to some abandonpaper website like bit savers ;-) I was
> thinking of somebody who likes the manuals for private use.

Microsoft will not <bleeping> *care*. DOS has not been a sold or
supported product for decades, and the people on their legal staff
concerned with IP have far better things to do with their time than
come after you for that.

As a rule, the IP  lawyers get involved when *preserving* property
rights are a concern, or there is enough potential *revenue* that
might be lost that piracy is a real issue. Neither of those are true
here.

> I see that so far, bitsavers.org has only the MS DOS 2.0
> programmers reference manual as English PDF, by the way,
> so they seem to be careful with Microsoft, too.

This has nothing to do with MS caring.  Bitsavers relies on third
parties like you to scan and digitize old documentation.  Once they
have it, they will host it, but *they* don't do the scanning. They
only have the DOS 2.0 programmer's reference manual in English because
that is all anyone has sent them.  If they were *that* concerned about
MS, they wouldn't have *it* online.

If you don't *want* to do this, that's fine.  We all have two hands
and 24 hours in a day, and must decide what we will spend our time.on.
If this is more time and effort than you wish to invest, so be it. But
"MS might object" is not a valid reason for not doing it.

> Cheers, Eric
______
Dennis