On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 10:15 AM Dale E Sterner <sunbeam...@juno.com> wrote:

> I think you're an expert on DOS.
> Can you tell me if there is a way to get DOS to detect 2
> printers on 2 different ports?
> It can only see 1 printer, the second is ignored.

As already asked, how are the printers connected, and what are you
trying to print *from?*

IIRC, what DOS itself sees is *ports*. What is connected to the ports
is the business of what will be using the connected device.

I'd guess you have one printer on a Centronics parallel port, and
another connected to a serial port.   Hooking up to a Centronics port
was the default assumption in DOS days, and stuff trying to print
would send data to that port.  Depending on what you are trying to
send stuff to print, you may need to either go into program
configuration to tell is there *is* a printer on a specified serial
port, or you may simple not be able to use a second printer.

If the second printer is connected to a serial port try,

ECHO "Some line of text" >COMx

where x is the number of the com port and see whether anything prints.
It will at least tell you whether data can be sent to that port to
that device.

(Stuff like this is why folks migrated from DOS to other OSes.)
_______
Dennis

> DS

> Mississippi Health Official Has a Stark Holiday Warning
> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5fb3e860a3ef468600e4ast03duc1
> Rubio Uses a Term Sure to Displease Trump
> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5fb3e860cafb768600e4ast03duc2
> It's a Very Good Day for Elon Musk
> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5fb3e860ec5fb68600e4ast03duc3

_______