On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 6:58 AM Thomas Mueller <mueller6...@twc.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 6:46 PM <andrea...@tiscali.it> wrote:
>
> > > You think is there any way to configure youtube-dl in Dos?
>
> > *Extremely* unlikely.  It requires Python 2.6 or 2.7.  The most recent
> > version of Python built for DOS is a DJGPP port of Python 2.4.2.
>
> Python 2.4.2 and 2.6 are obsolete, and 2.7 is heading that way.

I simply quoted the requirements stated on the youtube-dl site for building it.

> Package developers on open-source OSes, mainly Unix-related and not including
> FreeDOS (ReactOS?), are busy converting their packages to use Python 3.x and
> kick 2.7 out the door.

That's a slow process.  There's a lot of resistance among Python devs
who disagreed with breaking changes in 3.x. There are lots of things
out there being built on Python 2.X that don't actually need Python
3.X for what they currently do, and efforts to convert to 3.X are
essentially future-proofing.  It's not a current *requirement*.

> Not sure about Cygwin and MinGW.

Cygwin and MinGW will be similar.  The purpose of both efforts was to
port the *nix development toolchain to Windows, and use MSVCRT as the
runtime code would  link against.  Cygwin implements a POSIX runtime
as a dll, and Cygwin apps compile using it.  A lot of *nix code builds
out of the box because the DLL provides the system calls the programs
expect to see.  AT&T's uWin environment did the same thing.

> Perl and Python are vital parts of any (quasi-)Unix OS, but FreeBSD is far
> behind.

And differences in BSD provide challengews for Mac OS/X developers,
because it has a BSD kernel under the hood.

> I too think any attempt to port youtube-dl to FreeDOS would be an exercise in
> frustration, even more so for any other DOS.

I concur, and don't understand why anyone might *try.*

FreeDOS attempts to be compatible  with an OS that has not been
developed, sold, or supported in over 25 years.  Lots of things people
want to deal with now didn't *exist* when DOS was current, like USB.
DOS was developed in the days when hardware was an order of magnitude
more expensive and less powerful than what we commonly use now, and
was intended for resource constrained environments.

There are *many* things DOS simply cannot do, and if you need to do
those things you run Windows or Linux.  (And there are things DOS
*can* more or less do which are like the old joke about the dancing
bear - "The miracle is not how well it dances, but that it dances at
all."  Web browsing is a case in point.)

I still want to know what the OP would use to *view* YouTube videos
under DOS, regardless of how he got them there.

> Tom
______
Dennis