First off, I think too much has been said and a lot of it is
troubling. Partially and undeniably because Richard Stallman is a hard
person for many folks to relate to. I've never met him, but I've known
for a long time that he has a really bad reputation as an anti social
individual. I've known about his bad reputation since before January
1, 2000. I am concerned that nobody posting on this list should
purposely insult anyone else posting on this list or even someone off
list as if that is an acceptable thing to do. I must definitely ask,
what if Richard Stallman has been posting on this list and has been in
these discussions? Should anything you post on this list about Richard
Stallman be anything you wouldn't say to his face, especially if you
have been unknowingly indirectly communicating with him through this
list? If everyone wants Richard Stallman to be less anti social, then
we all need to avoid directly telling Richard Stallman in an unhelpful
way that he is anti social. If he is using an alias and posting to
this list, he is in these discussions and he is potentially reading
them. Shouldn't everyone who is concerned about Richard Stallman want
him to become less anti social and shouldn't we all be open to
encouraging Richard Stallman to be less anti social? Instead of
supporting this idea that Stallman is a huge jerk etcetera by echoing
it myself, I don't want the group conversation anywhere on any mailing
list or beyond mailing lists even to be against any person let alone
in a tone that wouldn't help that person do better if they need to.
The problem with calling anyone a bully on an email list is that the
"bully" might see that and become more of a bully because of it. The
goal of a group of concerned people about another specific person
should always be to encourage that person to personally improve in the
area of legitimate concern. The group cannot force this person to
change, especially if the group is wrong that the person even should
change this personal aspect of him/herself. Tyranny of the majority is
never a good thing, neither is Richard Stallman's reputation as an
anti social individual. This tyranny of the majority problem by the
way is why the President of the United States is supposed to be
elected by the electoral college and NOT democratically. The states
indeed only elect electors to the electoral college. Still matters how
legitimate the votes in that state are, but the POTUS is not elected
by the people directly and never has been.