You might want to look at http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MsDosEditors

> What version woud you advice or are you using? There is a significant
> difference in size between v.1.00 and 1.01 as you can see…

There is a long and tangled history there. Borland Sprint began as
Mark of the Unicorn's Final Word !! product.  And Final World II had
roots in MINCE (Mince Is Not Complete Emacs), originally developed for
8 bit micros running CP/M, and able to run in 48K RAM.

I have a version installed of Sprint here. It can be very powerful,
but has a substantial learning curve.

The original Emacs editor is huge and powerful, and got used under
Unix back when as the user's shell.  Their login profile specified
emacs as the shell, and they did everything on the system from within
the emacs environment.

But with great power comes great responsibility.  Gnu Emacs is
essentially a Lisp interpreter, and most of the editor is written in
the dialect of Lisp. it interprets.
To fully use emacs you must customize it. Doing that requires gaining
fluency in that flavor of Lisp.  (I had fun years back getting emacs
to use WordStar keybinds, so I didn;t have to retrain my fingers ,
rather than wrestle with Emacs Ctrl/Alt/Shiat/Meta, syntax.

There is an equivalent level of compl;exity in Borland Sprint.

You might also want to look at http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Freemacs

> thanks for your opinion on this. (I am currently working with VDE)

VDE is my DOS editor of choice.  Tell me what it *doesn't* do that you
might want to see?

(If you haven't encountered it, the VDE Home Page is
https://sites.google.com/site/vdeeditor/  I think you'll find useful
information.)

> regards, Thomas
______