On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 5:52 PM Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org> wrote:
> On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 4:00 PM dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:

<circling back on that after Real Lifew took precedence.>

> > You don't host non open source software on Ibiblio.

> > I am principal maintainer for a site called TextEditors.org  The focus
> > is what it says in the site name.  It's a wiki anyone can update.  If it's
> > a text editor running on a device, the wiki wants to document it.  The
> > hardware it runs on might be anything from an IBM Mainframe to a
> > pocket calculator.
> >
> > Licenses also vary.  An editor may be explicitly commercial,
> > shareware, freeware, open source, or abandonware, where the code and
> > docs are available but the author has long since vanished from the
> > Internet.  I don't care.  I just specify what the license *is*, The
> > one area where I draw a line is abandoned shareware. If it's
> > abandoned, but the editor is fully functional without being
> > registered,, I'll host it.  If it's abandoned shareware that will not
> > fully function without a license, and it's not possible to register it
> > because long gone authors, I see no point to listing it.
> >
> > A lot  of stuff I host is historical and long gone., as is the
> > hardware it ran on.  I do my best to provide pointers to documentation
> > so viewers can learn about what it was, did, and its place in computer
> > history.
>
> Interesting wiki. I looked up BRIEF but didn't find a download link on the
> wiki:
> http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Brief

No download link because I couldn't find a legit one.

Once upon a time, an outfit called Mark of the Unicorn made an editor
for CP/M called Mince, which was an acronym for Mince Is Not Complete
Emacs.  It used the Emacs design and keyboard mappings, but there were
limits to what you could do in CP/M where you *might* have 48K to hold
OS, program, and data. It was ported to MS DOS by MOTU.  As far as I
can tell, it was then acquired by a company called Underware and
sold/supported by them.

Borland acquired the product from Underware, and released a version as
The Final World.  Final Word was then released in a new version and
renamed Sprint.  Sprint was a popular word processor for MS DOS,
notable for an extensive macro language making it more like "real"
emacs..  As DOS became moribund and Windows took over.  Borland
withdrew Sprint from the market.  I have a copy of Sprint sent to me
in the original distribution archive, but he didn't specify where *he*
got it. Lacking provenance, I *didn't* make it available for download
from TextEditors.  I just documented that it used to exist.

I now discover there *is* a valid link to download something called
Brief.  The publishers apparently rewrote it from scratch as a Windows
application, but it seems to look and feel  and have the same features
as the DOS version. I may post a link to it.  My problem is that I
have no idea who actually did this.  They just call themselves
BriefSoftware, and I really like to put things like the actual
author's names on stuff I document.

Borland has been gradually releasing ancient stuff under a Community
license, and things like Turbo Pascal and Turbo C are available as a
free download and free to use. If memory serves, source is available
too, but of questionable use.  Good luck acquiring the proper
toolchain and being *able* to change and rebuild.it.

I recall Brief being promised, but not available the last time I
looked.  Should it *become* available. I\ll link to it on TextEditors/

> I also found WordStar but didn't see a download link on the wiki:
> http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WordStar

There *isn't* one.  WordStar was never formally made freeware.  It was
simply abandoned. Note that the WordStar.org site explicitly *states*
you will not find binaries there, and why..  It's front and center on
the site..

It *is* relatively easy to find unauthorized archives, install,
configure, and use it, but you won't find pointers to them on the WS
site. (You *will* find extensive discussion in the site forums on. how
to set it up and get it running on Windows10 using the open source
vDos Plus  emulator, vDos Plus is a fork of DOSBox, an open source,
cross platform DOS emulator, aimed a folks who want to play old DOS
games in things that *aren't* DOS PCs. I have it up here as proof of
concept.  It's not hard once you grasp a couple of underlying
concepts. :-)

DOSBox/vDosPlus provide enough DOS functionality to let you boot and
run DOS games on platforms that may not be PCs or use x86 CPUs.  The
big lack is the shell, which provides just enough functionality to
load and run the games. You can add that missing stuff with  FreeDOS
COMMAND, or 4DOS (my preference) and have a functional DOS emulator
which can load things like  TSRs

(It has no equivalent of CONFIG.SYS and cannot load drivers that
expect to be loaded in the boot process *before* DOS is loaded and
active. If your program requires that, you are SOL.)   Pretty much any
program that ran on a PC should run under DOSbox/vDosPlus  Not all
TSRs will.)

> I found SEDIT (shareware) in the wiki, but the download link points to
> a Simtel mirror owned by someone named Michael Scovetta:
> http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SEDIT

That's been one of my problem children. Simtel.net no longer exists.
Michael created a mirror he hosts.  You *can* find SEDIT there.
(Though I note he needs to update his security certificate.  Firefox
simply won't open it. I'm dropping him a note.)

> When you say you'll "host" it even if it's proprietary software, do
> you mean you actually have a copy of the editor on your site, and
> people can download it from your site? Or do you mean "host" as
> "there's an entry for it in the wiki"?

Both.  If the wiki has an entry pointing to the TexEditors back end,
it's because you simply can't *get* it elsewhere. I heard about it,
went looking, and was able to dig it out of someplace like
Archive.org.  I repackaged it as a standalone distribution and hosted
it on Text Editors.  The criteria for inclusion are "originally public
domain, or open source, or explicitly freeware with source not
available, or abandoned shareware which is still fully functional, or
abandonware I could still find, and worked as delivered, but the
authors had long since disappeared and could not be found or
contacted". I don't bother to *list*, let alone host, abandoned
shareware which must be registered to fully function and no longer can
be.

If there *is* a working link, the wiki simply supplies it.

> Putting an entry in a wiki is different than offering a file for
> download. When you offer a file for download, you are distributing it.
> And that gets into copyright territory.

Do me the elementary courtesy of assuming I am well aware of that.  I
have repeatedly stated my awareness in posts *to* the Freedos list,
and made it as explicit as I could on TextEditors.  I'm not sure
whether you managed to miss my posts or failed to comprehend them.  If
the latter, I am unaware  of any way I can make them more
comprehensible,  I strive at all times for clarity and simplicity.  If
You Don't Get It, I fear the problem is on *your* end.

> Yes, I know that some of these programs are effectively "abandoned"
> and the owners seem to be gone. But do you know if the owner is
> actually gone?

Because I spend extensive time doing actual *research*, which I ttry
to *document* doing. If you had asked "That's interesting.  How do you
handle the following issues I confront?", I could have told you.
Instead, you assumed I *didn't*.

Bluntly, the implicit assumption I might *not* have is offensive and
personally *insultiing*.,  If you want to continue this conversation
with me, you can give me a formal apology and *not* do that again..

> Or did someone else (perhaps another company) swoop in
> and buy the rights? There are other examples where someone has
> purchased the rights to some really old software, and then come back
> to sue someone. For example, DR-DOS (Caldera). I don't want to
> entangle FreeDOS in the next "Caldera" suit. Especially since we don't
> have a "FreeDOS Foundation" to provide air cover. (Creating a
> Foundation is expensive.>

No. As explained above, I *checked!*.

> > My concern is providing copies of and information *about* DOS and  DOS
> > software.  If the software is free to use but *not* open source, I
> > don't care.  It may not be posted *on* Ibiblio, but DOS/Freedos users
> > should be able to *find* it, with a pointer on Freedos.org to
> > somewhere other than Ibiblio where it might live.
>
> Do you mean like the "Links" page on the FreeDOS website, that links
> to (among other places) archives of shareware games and other
> applications?
> https://www.freedos.org/links/

 Something like that.

> From my other emails a few weeks ago about updating the FreeDOS
> website, I'm looking to move the "Links" content to other, more
> visible landing pages. For example:> https://test.freedos.org/

That's fine by me.  I simply want DOS users to find those resources
*From* the FreeDOS site.  If that's test.freedos.org instead of
freedos .org, i see little difference.

> And the https://test.freedos.org/about/games/ page (linked from the
> "Play Games" info box on the front page) says this:

<...>

> I think that's what you are suggesting. Or are you suggesting some
> other link somewhere else?

No.  I simply want to disseminate info about other DOSes and DOS
software that is *not* free and open source.

I want people looking for that to be able to do it *starting* at the
Freedos.org site.

That's all. Nothing complicated or convoluted. Just "They can find it here."

> Jim
______
Dennis