On Mon, 14 Mar 2022 at 18:12, Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > [2] Is there a version of GNU COBOL for DOS? I can't find any mention
> > of this on Google.

This is the real issue at hand here, and the reason why the OP should
rather contact the GNU COBOL
folks about installing this on DOS (any DOS).

Yes, I agree.

> The main problem is that you will need the whole GCC tool chain for this to
> work...

I did not know that GNU COBOL compiled to C when I answered, but yes,
I agree, ultimately this is the
problem.

But a shorter answer, missing the core problem but still answering the
question, is:

No, GNU COBOL does not run on DOS.

The compiler does not run on DOS, the tools the compiler needs don't
run on DOS, and they don't target
DOS either.

What this means is:

While it might be possible to use GNU COBOL to produce DOS binaries,
it is probably
easier to do that on Linux and cross-compile to DOS than to try to get
the whole thing working on DOS.

BTW, your quoting seems very broken. From your email address, you're
using Gmail. Is this on a phone
or on a computer? If a computer and the webmail version, it's easy to
quote properly.

Click the 3 vertical dots by the trashcan. Pick "plain text". Then
just press Ctrl-A (or Cmd-A) to select all,
and the quoted email appears  and you can trim and reply underneath.

If you use emails a lot, as I do, I recommend just setting Gmail to
send in plain-text only. This is good
manners:
https://useplaintext.email/

It's also better for people using accessibility tools, smaller
devices, takes less space, helps prevent
email-borne viruses, and aids quoting and conversations. I *highly*
recommend it.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com