On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 10:05 AM Martin Iturbide
<martiniturb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if you know some links, articles, hints about all the
> software and fixes that can be installed on Windows 3.1 .Like if someone did
> the exercise on how he will tune/pimp his own Windows 3.1 today.

I ran Windows for Workgroups, 3.11. a sort of corporate flavor of
Windows 3.1, for some time.  I don't recall security patches for it as
we have now.

The thing to remember is that Win 3.1 was a 16 bit multitasking shell.
running on top of single tasking DOS. Windows serialized
communications with the file system so DOS could be used.

I had a Unix machine at home before I got a PC running DOS. DOS from
version 2 bprrowed concepts from Unix, like tree structured
directories, pipes, and I/O redirection, but implemented them
differently due to DOS limitations,

When I got a PC, I wanted it to look and act as much like Unix as
possible.  The best solution proved to be a commercial product called
the MKS Toolkit.  It was created by Mortice Kern Systems, a consulting
engineering firm in Canada, They wrote it for internal use, but when
they felt it was sufficiently developed, they released it as a
product.  It became "the tail that wagged the dog", and their primary
business.

The biggest enticement for me was a complete implementation of the
Ubix Korn shell, with everything save asynchronous background
processes (because DOS didn't *have* those.)  It also had a full
implementation of the Vi editor.

Installed in fullest Unix compatibilty mode, the Toolkit's INIT,EXE
program replaced COMMAND.COM as the boot shell.  Turn on the PC, and
when booting completed, you saw a screen with a Login: prompt.  Enter
a userid and optional password.  INIT called LOGIN, which looked in a
Unix compatible /etc/passwd file for it.  If it found a match, it
changed to whatever was defined as that ID's home directory, and ran
whatever was defined as its shell.

I had IDs that ran COMMAND.COM, 4DOS, the Toolkit Korn shell. and
DesqView.  Exit them, and you returned to INIT, which presented a
Login screen.  I could switch environments without rebooting.  Just
log off and back on again.

The XT clone had a meg of additional memory courtesy of an AST 6-Pak
card, with 512K allocated to a RAMdisk and 256K to a dick cache.
Drivers for those and my mouse were loaded in CONFIG.SYS and available
in all environments.

When I was logged into the Korn shell, you had to dig to discover you
*weren't* on a real Unix machine.

When I migrated to a 386 machine capable of running Win 3.1, I kept
the setup, and used it to expand what I might do with Windows.  When
you booted into Win 3.1, by default Program Manager was your GUI.  But
it didn't have to be.  There were an assortment of shareware and
freeware Program Manager replacements you could substitute. Which
Windows used was defined by an entry in the SYSTEM.INI file.

I could shift between Windows GUIs the same way I shifted DOS
environments.  I had IDs defined to use custom versions of SYSTEM.INI.
When I logged into one of them, the custom version got copied over the
SYSTEM.INI file Windows read when it invoked, and it came up usimg the
GUI the ID specified.  Exit Windows, and I was back in INIT and could
restart it using  different GUI without rebooting (or not run Windows
at all, and log  into a DOS session.)

The replacement GUI I wound up normally using was Workplace Shell for
Windows, a freeware product from an IBM developer that implemented as
much of the OS/2 Workplace ahell as possible under Win 3.1.  Among
other things, it eliminated Program Manager imposed limitations on the
number of Program Groups, and permitted icons on the desktop.
Transition to Win95 when that appeared was simplified because I
already had a lot of th new capabilities Win95 offered.

Lacking something like the Toolkit to make switching GUIs easy, you
can still play with the replacement GUIs.   You'll just have to boot
to DOS and diddle the SYSTEM.INI file with a text editor.  *Finding*
them may be a challenge,
______
Dennis