On Sat, 16 Jul 2022 at 01:13, Michael Brutman <mbbrut...@brutman.com> wrote:

> Computationally, SSH is not feasible on the 16 bit machines that I target
for this project.
> Even with enough compute power, you need to find DOS equivalents of all
of the libraries.  Which includes the ciphers, key exchanges, etc.  And
then you need to port those, and what they depend on to DOS.  Without
introducing security holes.
> SSH ciphers are a moving target.  What is acceptable today will be
deprecated in a few years.  It is difficult to keep up.

Agreed. Modern cryptography is one of the relatively few things that uses
the large amount of bandwidth of modern CPUs.

It's possible to run older versions of OpenBSD on 30+ year old DEC
minicomputers, for example. It was dropped only because Theo de Raadt
couldn't get modern VAXstation hardware to compile it on. I tried to
donate a VAXstation 4000/90 to the project when I emigrated -- Red Hat was
going to ship it to Canada from the UK for me.

De Raadt changed his mind when he learned it wasn't the fastest model, and
Red Hat Farnborough lost the machine. 😡

Anyway, making new SSH keys on a VAX took as much as a couple of *days* in
some instances.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com