I've never wanted to support Unicode and UTF-8 because of the potential
performance problems on slow machines and the problem of mapping Unicode to
code pages.  I solved one problem, but not the other. ;-0

If you'd like to try it the instructions are at
https://groups.google.com/g/mtcp/c/Z0RhZK9hI8c.  I've included a mapping
from Unicode to CP437.  If you use another codepage you will need to create
a mapping for it.  (It's not difficult, it's just a text file.)

If this works well I'll update the Telnet client to be able to use Unicode
too.  (It was easier to start with the IRC client.)

-Mike