Hi,

On Thu, 4 May 2023 at 20:38, Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > * Collating/lowercase/uppercase tables, which in turn implies that
> > DBCS are handled where strings are handled, and my worry is about
> > filenames: how are filenames stored? how does it relate to 8.3
> > limitation, does it become 4.1 or does it require LFN...?
> For one, as DOS/V would specifically apply to Japanese (but the same
> would apply at least to Hangul (Korean) and Chinese), none of the script
> systems being used (Katagana, Hiragana, and certainly not Kanji (Chinese
> "characters")) has the concept of upper case/lower case...

Yeah, I know :) I just mentioned for completion, and specially for the
collating table.

> Ok, here is were that soft brown matter hits the fast rotating household
> appliance. I am pretty sure that in order to create a DBCS version of
> MS/PC-DOS, they did not use one and the same code base. Some basic DOS
> function would have to be completely replaced with DBCS aware versions,
> I don't think you can simply maintain dual-capable versions without
> significantly increased memory requirements.

Sure thing. Most worrying to me is to deal with DBCS strings where kernel
deals with strings, that is specially on filenames.

> And most importantly, I don't think that we at FreeDOS have simply the
> capacity to do any such adaptation. It would require AT LEAST one person
> that is fluent in English and Japanese, as well as being sufficiently
> proficient in programming.  I don't think there is even remotely anyone
> that could possibly fill that role within the current participants, nor
> even lurkers, or they would be more active (and possibly proposing
> required changes).

Agreed.

> This would not only apply to adaptations to the before mentioned East
> Asian languages and scripting systems, but also to things like
> right-to-left systems like Arabic and Hebrew
> (Urdu/Farsi/Pashto/Punjabi/Sindhi/etc)

Yeah, that's another adventure that would involve heavier changes in the
console at least.

Aitor