AFAICT, the FDNET package contains packet drivers for (16-bit?) NE2000 and
PCnet ethernet cards.   The crynwr package has several dozen other packet
drivers.  If we knew the exact Thinkpad model, we could advise you better.

http://crynwr.com/drivers/00index.html

WRT saving items to floppy, are you considering a hard drive install or
booting from floppy only?