https://linux.die.net/man/1/curl

-k/--insecure(SSL) This option explicitly allows curl to perform "insecure"
SSL connections and transfers. All SSL connections are attempted to be made
secure by using the CA certificate bundle installed by default. This makes
all connections considered "insecure" fail unless *-k/--insecure* is used.

In short, curl will still make encrypted SSL/TLS connections at supported
protocol versions (some servers and companies will still fall back to
earlier standards).  The encrypted/decrypted communication is considered
insecure because the trust portion of the protocol is bypassed.

And yes Ralf, if the servers or companies have strict security standards
requiring newer protocol versions, then curl will fail or will eventually
fail to communicate with them.

This is why the proxy support is a better solution today.  The system
hosting the proxy can be newer and support the newest security standards
for older systems.