Hi,

I'm not entirely sure NT (Win XP etc.) ever supported such a thing atop FAT32
either (via DOS calls).

Via DOS calls in NT? Not sure. But in ordinary operations, it was as normal as pie. I remember pretty well that I had to cut up >4GiB files into pieces so that we could transfer them on USB drives back in the day to the odd person who used a Mac (no NTFS drivers back then), or to someone who still used Windows 98.

Not sure I'd even want exFAT support in FreeDOS, personally. I'd prefer HPFS or
ext2 instead.

I said it before but I'll re-iterate - any filesystem with proper journaling would be a total banger. I still remember how Rayman ate my FreeDOS and I still have dosfsck in my fdauto as a preventative measure. It's slow as molasses in January however. The same program under Linux blows it out of the water.

BR,

Michał