Are there any tutorials/how to's to guide how to create roles?  The docs simply
go through filling out the forms, but is there any resource about how roles are
generally used and the required relationships?

This is the closest thing I have found:
http://adam.younglogic.com/2012/02/group-managers-in-freeipa/

I don't understand how to limit various permissions/privileges to specific
users or groups.

I want a role to manage only the users of a certain group: i.e. a user that can
add, modify, delete user accounts and set/reset/unlock passwords for one group.

Larry