Hi, Jakub,

In line with your performance tuning document referenced prior in this thread,
I’ve actually already implemented the three configuration changes you specified
(prior to identifying this issue).  Right now I am focusing on the use case
documented below, because as of right now I am unable to get that user
populated into a client cache with sssd 1.14, at all.  In other cases for
individual users (prior to implementing tmpfs for example), it seemed like an
initial lookup on a client failed, then subsequent lookups would succeed,
presumably as a result of the DC eventually looking up and caching the user.
This user (the one I can’t seem to lookup on a client) is a member of a large
number of groups, and also some of these groups have longer names with spaces
and special characters in them (i.e. $ and . @)   I haven’t gone through and
checked if one of these groups has a large number of users, primarily because I
am able to lookup users that are members of groups with a large number of
members (over 1000) already.  This is an actual group that this user is a
member of, for example:

788658174(members of this group will have full mailbox access and send as
rights to
urbj...@health.bsd.uchicago.edu<mailto:urbj...@health.bsd.uchicago.edu> mailbox)

Right now my theory is that the @ in this group name is causing the lookup to
fail, as it is used as a character to specify the actual domain of a trusted
group, although that has yet to be verified.

NSS - https://gist.github.com/dsulli99/01715234efab09772e8236a13e4f4ef5
IPA - https://gist.github.com/dsulli99/f3cc92d7c32061fd4676a83a039c31b1

Here is the full list of groups the user is a member of, from the output of the
id command on a DC:

uid=339741696(hah...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:hah...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>)
gid=339741696(hah...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:hah...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>)
groups=339741696(hah...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:hah...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788655857(hsd$
 kcbd 6260 conference room freebusy
r...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:r...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788668882(phs phsapps
remoteapp default
a...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:a...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670425(phs phsapps
notepad2
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670429(phs
phsapps cmd
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),339797692(cri-hpc_allus...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:cri-hpc_allus...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670440(phs
 phsapps r v3.2.0 32-bit
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788672389(phs
phsapps remote desktop
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788655856(hsd$ w230
conference room freebusy
r...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:r...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670441(phs phsapps
r v3.2.0 64-bit
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788672413(phs
phsapps r v3.2.3 64-bit
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670431(phs
phsapps file explorer
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670428(phs
phsapps adobe reader xi
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788609545(adm-trackitus...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:adm-trackitus...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788615356(hsd$
 workstation local
lo...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:lo...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),339794097(cri-lmem_cri_us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:cri-lmem_cri_us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670445(phs
 phsapps taskmgr
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788624309(hsd$
pr...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:pr...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670436(phs
phsapps notepadplusplus
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788654299(cri-all_gro...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:cri-all_gro...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670434(phs
 phsapps notepad us...@bsdad.uc
hicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670438(phs phsapps plink 1.90
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670427(phs
phsapps office access 2013
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788655855(hsd$ w229
conference room freebusy
r...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:r...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788635799(adm-sde-clie...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:adm-sde-clie...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670439(phs
 phsapps office powerpoint 2013
u...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:u...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788610792(hsd$ all
health
stud...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:stud...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788655854(hsd$
n102 conference room freebusy
r...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:r...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),339793627(cri-galaxy_web_us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:cri-galaxy_web_us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670444(phs
 phsapps statamp 14
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),339792922(cri-all_us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:cri-all_us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670442(phs
 phsapps rstudio
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788655852(hsd$
freebusy read for all conference
ro...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:ro...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788600513(domain
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670430(phs
phsapps office excel 2013
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788672414(phs
phsapps r v3.2.3 32-bit
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),339800245(cri-ahsan_...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:cri-ahsan_...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788655034(fml$
 n108 conference room freebusy
r...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:r...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670446(phs phsapps
office word 2013
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670437(phs
phsapps plink 1.07
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670443(phs
phsapps sas 9.4
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788610930(hsd$ proof
po...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:po...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670432(phs
phsapps mmc users@bsdad
.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788670433(phs phsapps mobaxterm
us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu<mailto:us...@bsdad.uchicago.edu>),788658174(members of
this group will have full mailbox access and send as rights to
urbj...@health.bsd.uchicago.edu<mailto:urbj...@health.bsd.uchicago.edu> mailbox)

I am not particularly well versed in deciphering IPA/NSS logs for SSSD, but at
first review nothing is blaring, aside from these line in the NSS log, which
doesn’t provide much good information:

Error: 3, 0, Account info lookup failed
Will try to return what we have in cache

My goal is to spend at least some time focusing on this today to try and
further identify root cause of being unable to lookup this user.  I will report
back if I find anything meaningful. In the meantime I would appreciate any
advisement that could be provided.

Thank you for replying to me.

Best,

Dan Sullivan

On Jul 18, 2016, at 3:19 AM, Jakub Hrozek