On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 03:47:53PM -0500, Utsav Ratti wrote:
> The problem I am trying to solve involves administrative logins to our
> firewalls, which currently run on Redhat Linux 6.2. In order to provide
> administrative accountability, individual accounts have to be created
> on each box for all of the administrators, and their passwords have to
> be maintained. Obviously, this doesn't scale well as we add boxes.

Why not?  You should be automating this.

> We have tried to leverage our existing SecurID authentication system as
> a way of strengthening the authentication model on the firewalls and
> eliminating the need to use host-specific user accounts. However, with
> the current RSA ACE/Agent for Linux, one must still login to the local
> machine before being prompted for the SecurID login. I'm looking for a
> way around that by leveraging pam_radius to talk to our existing Steel
> Belted RADIUS servers, which are already configured to proxy to our
> ACE/Servers.

You are using 'sdshell'?  You could use pam_securid instead.  You'll still
have to login as the user (ACE/Server has to know which token to check
against), but you could tweak the pam_securid module to only use the
username for auth and always login as some specific account.  Although,
I would discourage this.

> The problem is that pam_radius, from what I have been able to gather,
> does not support New PIN Mode, Next Tokencode Mode and other
> ACE-specific messages, which would be needed to properly support ACE
> authentication on an ongoing basis. Is anybody working on this,
> considering to do so, or has any alternative suggestions on how I might
> be able to do this without requiring two logins?

pam_radius fully supports those functions -- as far as it is able.  ie,
pam_radius will pass Access-Challenge's to the user as long as it keeps
receiving them.  You problem is that SBR must not be passing on those
messages correctly.

> Any help would be appreciated.

Try pam_securid.

/fc