"Tim D. McCracken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I got it fixed!
>
> Based on an earlier discussion (and as shown earlier in this thread) I
> had set auth-type=PAP in users.

  Which is wrong, if you want to do authentication OTHER than PAP.

> After digging through about 300 messages in the archive, I found that
> it should be auth-type = local.

  No, that's for backwards compatibility.

  Hmm... let me poke at the 'radiusd.conf' file in the distribution.
You should configure the 'chap' module, and then list it in the
'authorize' section.  If the CHAP mopdule sees a packet which it can
authenticate, it will set Auth-Type = CHAP for you.

  The PAP, MSCHAP, and other modules all do the same thing.

> Is there anywhere that LISTS and DEFINES all the valid auth-types?

  Not really, no.  The general idea is that you shouldn't be setting
the auth types to something specific, unless you know what that is.
(Which is a bit of a circular argument...)

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html