"Eric C. Snowdeal III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> i'd like to be able to:
>
> 1.  set per user [ not necessarily groups] session time limits that are
> valid across multiple sessions  [i.e. jane doe gets 3600 seconds of use
> which are used up over multiple sessions  ]

  See the 'counter' module.  Documentation in the comments in
radiusd.conf.

> 2.  each time a user logs in, i'd like to return a session-timeout
> attribute that reflects the time left [ i.e. total time minus used time ]

  The counter module does that as part of it's counting.

> 3.  if a user is logged in when the time runs out,  the user gets kicked
> off and is not allowed to log back in.  ever.

  Until, at least, the counter resets (daily, monthly, or never).

> from what i gather requirements 1 and 3 should be satisfied if i can set
> up the counter correctly, but i think i might have to use and
> exec-program-wait script to satisfy requirement 2?

  Huh?  Why?  See the output of the 'counter' module in debugging
mode, or look for 'Session-Timeout' in the counter source.

> in this case,  as is appropriate for the := operator, >each time< jane
> logs in she  gets a session-timout = 60 returned.  if she stays logged
> in for 60 full seconds she will get kicked off - however she can then
> log back in.  my apparently flawed logic would tell me that i could
> fully satisfy requirements 1 and 3 by using something like the following:
>
> Jane  Auth-Type:=Local, User-Password=="Doe",  RAD-Session-Time < 60
>         Class="0x101"
>
> but this doesn't work

  Exactly how does that entry look like the example given in
'radiusd.conf'?  THat might be the cause of your problem...

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html