On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Graeme Hinchliffe wrote:

> > >   When the database is used heavily by another process freeradius eats
> > > loads of CPU, becomes unresponsive and eventually just dies.  This only seems
> > > to happen when another process (such as mysql_dump) is ran on the database.
> >
> > radiusd should never die. Check for any core dumps. In any case if you are using
> > mysqldump it will acquire a global lock on the db and not allow the radiusd sql
> > queries to run. As a result the radiusd process will become unresponsive (though
> > it should not eat loads of CPU)
>
> That fits with what happens, I think I got the order slightly out.  To be more
> precises:
>
> The radiusd runs happily.  mysqldump starts and radiusd complains about
> unresponsive children, the number of threads increases until the mysqldump
> finishes, at which point the number of threads begins to drop.  The no of
> threads gets to about 20 (initial start value is 5).. at which point the
> daemon locks up and consumes lots of CPU.  It has to be kill -9'd to stop and
> then restart.

That's bad. Try running it like radiusd -xxx and send back the results. It would
be nice if you upgraded to 0.9.2 first though.

> I always thought that the lock would be to stop writes to the db? not reads?

I think it's a global lock though i am not sure. In any case you are using
radiusd for accounting right (which means writing to the db)?

--
Kostas Kalevras         Network Operations Center
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       National Technical University of Athens, Greece