Jos Vos wrote:
On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 08:06:40PM +0100, Phil Mayers wrote:

I can see two options, neither very pleasant :o(

1. For the short term distributions (Fedora, Ubuntu), volunteer to be a packager. In principle I could do this for Fedora; in practice I have no time or patience for the politics involved.

Fedora does follow the releases pretty close, I think.  They now have
version 2.0.2.  You can always trigger the maintainer (who's name is
in the spec file) for upgrading.

In Fedora 9 beta, yes. Fedora 7 & 8 have 1.1.7, which is nice. Maybe that other, non-Fedora distros are equally up-to-date; if so, it's not an issue.

2. For the long term distributions (e.g. RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu LTS) politely ask the distribution to either track no more than 6 months old, or if they are unable/unwilling, ask them not to include FreeRadius.

It's GPLed software so of course they're free to refuse the latter; but they would probably honour it. Whether it's desirable is another matter

I don't think they will honour that.  And I think it's a unrealistic

Shrug. I disagree on both counts, but I don't see the point in arguing with you.

request.  As I said in an old thread (when I asked something related
to version 1.0.1 (!), as included in RHEL4): on this list you're of
course all free to ignore questions you don't like, but I honoustly
hope we also stay all free to ask questions about older releases.

You're free to ask what you like, in that context. People might not answer, and in my opinion you'll be degrading the signal/noise ratio, but I'm not the boss of anyone - ask away.

For example: on several occasions I've fired up 1.1.7 or 2.0.x and tested a suggestion before I've answered i.e. I'm actually doing a little bit of work, because the mailing list has given me so much I feel I should give back.

I've even pulled source tarballs and given the source code for a module a quick look over to clarify exact behaviour before replying.

I'm not going to waste time doing that for 1.0.1, and I feel pretty confident when I hazard a guess that few people will.
-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html