Hi !

Here is some code for a single mddevice for RW files.
I have used an mfsroot image to have diferent
mountpoints for CD and \.
In mfsroot i have created a /loop directory.
fcmd=/loop
made the mddevice :

MD_DEV=`/sbin/mdconfig -a -t malloc -o compress -s
${FS_MFS}m`
  /sbin/newfs -m 0 -b 8192 -f 1024 /dev/${MD_DEV}
>/dev/null 2>&1
  /sbin/mount  /dev/${MD_DEV} ${fcmd}
 then extract to ${fcmd} all needed files from /root
/var
 /tmp /usr/local/etc and /scripts ( for me )

and so on for all writeable directories
and after that mount_nullfs all from ${fcmd} where you
need (at me in ${fc}/etc...)
${fm} is the location of tar archives of /root /var
take a look at the below code.

tar -xzpPf ${fm}/etc.tgz -C ${fcmd}
 mount_nullfs ${fcmd}/etc /etc
 mount_nullfs /etc ${fc}/etc
 printf "etc "
 #
 tar -xzpPf ${fm}/var.tgz -C ${fcmd}
 mount_nullfs  ${fcmd}/var ${fc}/var
 printf "var "
 #
 tar -xzpPf ${fm}/root.tgz -C ${fcmd}
 mount_nullfs ${fcmd}/root ${fc}/root
 printf "root "
 #
 tar -xzpPf  ${fm}/scripts.tgz -C ${fcmd}
 mount_nullfs ${fcmd}/scripts ${fc}/scripts
 printf "scripts "
 #
 tar -xzpPf  ${fm}/local_etc.tgz -C ${fcmd}
 mount_nullfs ${fcmd}/usr/local/etc
${fc}/usr/local/etc
 printf "usr/local/etc "
 #

At me the ${fc} is the mountpoint of the CD/DVD and i
have symlinks from / to ${fc} directories.
Because mount_nullfs works only if the root of the
file systems are not the same I have used an mfsroot
image.
That's another reason for using an mfsroot image.

Please note the idea of using mount_nullfs was not my
idea it was Sergei Mozhaisky's idea ( Frenzy
developer).

My idea was to compute the ${FS_MFS} size according to
the computer memory.

I have allocated about 80M of ram for computer with
256M and aprox 30% to 40% of available usermem after
uncompressing filesystems for computer with much
memory.

Almost to forget !
Congratulations also for the swapfind script and using
the founded swaps for CD.

About using getconfig i agree that using X is the best
way but as i know getconfig doesn't gave info about
founded monitor ( but probably i am wrong).
At me the monitor wasn't detected by FreeSBIE-2.0.
Why not using X -configure instaed ?
You obtain infos about both ( videocard and monitor ).
Idea of X autoconfig to detect both videocard and
monitor and even with unprobed monitors it is in
RoFreeSBIE-1.2 in /mfs/scripts.tgz file.

All the best !