On 04/06/2011, George Wood <gw...@woodsite.net> wrote:

> The answer is, of course, '42'.
>
> The freesbie website on www.freesbie.org seems to have died.
>
> The us download mirror is still up on
>
>   http://mirrors.isc.org/pub/FreeSBIE/
>
> most releases of FreeSBIE are there.  However, FreeSBIE has not been
> maintained or updated in several years.
>
> PC-BSD is another FreeBSD offshoot with a bootable dvd.  get it at
> www.pcbsd.org.
>
> It needs a pc with a bootable dvd drive and a gb or so of ram.  There
> is also a bootable usb flash drive image, which needs a bootable usb
> port.
>
> The dve (or flash drive) can be used both to run PCBSD in live-mode,
> diorecttlty from the dvd, AND to will install pc-bsd;  be careful at
> the boot menu to choose 'boot in live mode' (option 3, I think)
> unless you want to install it to the hard disk.  (you will have
> several other opportunities to abort the installation if you start it
> accidentally).
>
> I do occasionally use a FreeSBIE disk; it doesn't need quite as much
> ram as the pcbsd (running in live mode), and it does not require a
> dvd.  But it also doesn't have as rich an environment.
>
> I'm not a member of the FreeSBIE development group.  I'm just on the
> mailing list.  I keep hopeing someone will resurrect it, or some
> similar small-footprint bootable image.
>
> Don't panic!
>
> George D. Wood, Ph.D.
> gw...@woodsite.net
>
> On Jun 4th, Bret Busby (>BB>) wrote:
>
>>BB> Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 03:49:53 +0800
>>BB> From: Bret Busby <bret.bu...@gmail.com>
>>BB> To: freesbie@gufi.org
>>BB> Subject: Query as to whether FreeSBIE is stiill available
>>BB>
>>BB> Hello.
>>BB>
>>BB> I have recently found of the existence of FreeSBIE.
>>BB>
>>BB> In trying to download a copy of FreeSBIE, with, I understand, version
>>BB> 2.0.1 being the latest current stable version, using the links on the
>>BB> web page at http://www.freesbie.org/downloads.php, I found the
>>BB> following links to be broken.
>>BB>
>>BB> Under the heading FTP sites:
>>BB>
>>BB> # ftp.freesbie.org
>>BB> # ftp2.freesbie.org
>>BB> # ftp.ca.freesbie.org
>>BB>
>>BB> Under the heading HTTP sites:
>>BB>
>>BB> * ftp.freesbie.org
>>BB>
>>BB> So, is FreeSBIE still available, or, has it been abandoned?

>>BB> been posted, for about a year, and I am wondering whether the project
>>BB> has been abandoned.
>>BB>
>>BB> Thank you in anticipation, for your response.
>>BB>
>>BB> --
>>BB> Bret Busby
>>BB> Armadale
>>BB> West Australia
>>BB>
>>BB> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>>BB>  you'll know what the answer means."
>>BB> - Deep Thought,
>>BB>  Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>>BB>  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>>BB>  A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>>BB>  written by Douglas Adams,
>>BB>  published by Pan Books, 1992

Hello.

Thank you for your response.

I had downloaded a copy of the i386 version of the PCBSD 8.2, to try
on some of the 32 bit computers here, and a copy of the 64 bit
version, to try on some of the 64 bit computers.

However, I tried to run the i386 version in the Live mode, on my
HP/Compaq NX5000, which, from the FLCL web site, would be compatible
other than the WiFi, in which I am not interested, anyway.

But the PCBSD 8.2, I found to be problematic; it took three attempts
to get past the boot menu (the one with the options, where a user
chooses to install or to boot into Live mode), and, when it did manage
to go past that boot menu, it hung at the X-Windows stage; where it is
supposed to display the X-Windows screen.

So, for that computer, anyway, I would apparently have to try the
FreesBIE version, which, whilst I am aware that it  (FreesBIE 2.0.1, I
think, is the latest current stable version) is based on FreeBSD 6.2
(from memory) rather than being based on FreeBSD 8.2, on which I
understand PCBSD 8.2 to be based, I understand to use windows managers
(Fluxbox and XFCE, I think) that are much less resource demanding than
KDE, that PCBSD apparently uses.

I had posted a query to the PCBSD mailing list, asking about the
progress of PCBSD 9, which I understand will allow a user to run GNOME
(with which I am more familiar with its use, having used it for some
years on various versions of Linux0 rather than KDE, as I understand
that GNOME has a much lesser requirement of resources to run it, than
does KDE. I am waiting for a response to that query.

So I shall try the USA hosting site for the FreeSBIE downloads, to try
to get a useable download of FreeSBIE 2.0.1. That hosting site is, I
think, not included in the list of hosting sites for the downloads, on