Greetings Freesurfer experts,

I've looked over the FS mailing list, as well as other resources (such as
Mumford's page on demeaning and fMRI data), but I was still a bit confused,
so apologizes in advance.

I have a datatset that consists of only 1 group (an expert trained group),
and I'd like to investigate how the years of training correlates to
cortical thickness. I thus have two covariates I'd like to include: the
years of training (ranging from 6 to 18 years), and their age (ranging from
18 to 22 years old), where I want to regress out age (treat it as a
nuisance variable).  From my understanding, I am interested in the slope
rather than the intercept of this one group.

I assume that demeaning would at least bring the intercept to the mean of
this group and not at 0 (which isn't applicable to this group), but wasn't
sure if demeaning is still necessary to investigate the correlation between
cortical thickness and years of training, while holding age as a nuisance
variable (as according to Mumford: "mean centering a covariate will never
change the inference for that covariate"). Any input would be great. Thank
you.

Paul