For thickness, you can look at the difference (or percent difference). You would use freeview (or tksurferfv, which is a frontend for freeview). When you run mris_preproc, you can specify that you want it to compute the (percent) difference, or you can do it with the multi-frame output of mris_preproc. For subcortical, it is more difficult since you don't get a map out of it (just a single value like total volume of hippocampus).