Run recon-all on the MNI template, then view your ROI on the output volume,
including the surfaces to verify that the surfaces pass through your ROI. Map
the ROI to the surface using mri_vol2surf with the --regheader option, then map
the surface-ROI to each subject with mris_apply_reg (make sure to use the
--no-rev) option, then run mri_segstats something like
mri_segstats --i lh.thickness --seg  roi-in-this-subject.mgz --id 1 --sum
subject/stats/roi.stats
Then you can run asegstats2table with --statsfile=roi.stats -m mean to get a
table across your subjects