External Email - Use Caution

Dear FreeSurfer Experts,

I'm currently working on mapping cortical morphometric measurements from each
individual in the HCP dataset to the fsaverage space.

I have noticed that both the mris_preproc and mri_surf2surf commands can
achieve this function. However, I found that the vertex-level measurements for
cortical thickness, sulcal depth, and curvatures are consistent between these
two commands, but the results for surface area and gray matter volume are
totally different.

I am puzzled by this inconsistency and speculate that perhaps these two
commands are calculated on different surfaces? I don't understand why the two
commands get different results since the inputs are the same.

My command are as follows: (Different surface area values will be obtained in
lh.area.fsaverage.mgh and lh.area.fsaverage.gii files)

mris_preproc --s  id  --meas  area --target fsaverage --hemi lh –out
/Results/CorticalFeatures/id/lh.area.fsaverage.mgh

mri_surf2surf --srcsubject id --trgsubject fsaverage --hemi lh --sval
/HCP/id/surf/lh.area --tval /Results/CorticalFeatures/id/lh.area.fsaverage.gii

Thank you so much!

Tongyu Zhang