Problems so far.
Updated to the most recent version of Freesurfer and now I don't have
access to the subject r79.  When I try to open it by going to File: Open
Subject: r79 I get a dialog box that says

Alert
Subjects dir:
/usr/local/freesurfer/FS_DIST.Linux/Subjects not writable ...configs
won't
be saved

although with the current computer settings I should have access.

Another problem that I seem to be having before I lost access is in the
Manual Editing.

Going to SubjectTools: Edit Segmentation I don't get the Tkmedit Tool
interface that the Tutorial says I should. Instead of an interface with
menus for File, Edit, Display, and Tools, I get one with out any menus.

The one in the tutorial displays:
Cursor with a linked cursor  and wrn value
Display for Sagittal, Horizontal and Coronal as well as a zoom.
It also has two buttons the 'save point' and 'goto point' buttons

The one I get again, has no menus but it has more features that I can
not
manage to get to do anything.

Like the tutorial's image I get coronal, sagittal and horizontal display
changers as well as an overlay button a surface button and
aditional contrast and
midpoint numbers.

I've got buttons to save imgs, send pnt, goto pnt, read surf, write
outim
or rgb, wmtrunc, planefilter. I have a second image that I'm supposed to
be able to read and compare and a few more things.

Is this the same set of tools with a different interface and if it is
how
do I use
this new interface? Can I change it some how to get the old one so I
could continue to just use the tutorial to walk through the process or
am I stuck?