Hi All,

I have two favors to ask of the freesurfer users community. This is
important to us, as our P41 regional resource grant, which is the *only*
mechanism that currently funds support for freesurfer, is up for renewal
next year. In that regard, it would be very helpful for us if:

1.  You could please send me email indicating that you are an active user
of freesurfer. If you could also include the following info, it would be
very helpful:
  your institutional affiliation
  the approximate # of cortical surface models you have successfully
        generated
  the approximate # of people in your institution who use freesurfer

2. The other thing that will be very important for us for getting renewed
is the # of publication that cite the freesurfer methods papers.
Unfortunately, it seems that people have been treating us like  matlab and
not citing the academic methods papers.  If you do publish results using
freesurfer, please cite the following papers:

Fischl, B., M.I. Sereno, and A.M. Dale, Cortical Surface-Based Analysis II:
Inflation, Flattening, a Surface-Based Coordinate System. NeuroImage, 1999.
9: p. 195-207.

Fischl, B., A. Liu, and A.M. Dale, Automated Manifold Surgery: Constructing
Geometrically Accurate and Topologically Correct Models of the Human
Cerebral Cortex. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging., 2001. 20(1): p.
70-80.

Dale, A.M. and M.I. Sereno, Improved localization of cortical activity by
combining EEG and MEG with MRI cortical surface reconstruction: A linear
approach. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 1993. 5(2): p. 162-176.

Dale, A.M., B. Fischl, and M.I. Sereno, Cortical Surface-Based Analysis I:
Segmentation and Surface Reconstruction. NeuroImage, 1999. 9: p. 179-194.

if you are using the thickness tools, please also cite:

Fischl, B. and A.M. Dale, Measuring the thickness of the human cerebral
cortex from magnetic resonance images. Proceedings of the National Academy
of Sciences, 2000. 97: p. 11044-11049.

finally, if you are using the spherical averaging include:

Fischl, B., M.I. Sereno, R.B.H. Tootell, and A.M. Dale, High-resolution
inter-subject averaging and a coordinate system for the cortical surface.
Human Brain Mapping, 1999. 8(4): p. 272-284.

thanks,
Bruce

Bruce Fischl                       email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mass. General Hosp. NMR Center.    tel:(617)-726-4897
Rm. 2328, Building 149, 13th Street fax:(617)-726-7422
Charlestown, MA 02129   USA