Darren Weber wrote:

> Hi Doug et al,
>
> from looking at the help on mris_surfglm it appears that vertices in the
> analyses are not as dense as those from the subject surfaces.

It should be quite comparable, and the ico/average7 has 163842 vertices,
which is often more then individual surfaces.

> I'm guessing
> that using the ico surface with 7 iterations of refinement (lots of
> vertices!), you then locate the nearest vertex in each subject for each ico
> vertex.  So, the GLM analyses for any given ico vertex use data from
> different vertex numbers across subjects - are these vertex indices and ico
> vertex correspondence available as an output option or are they stored in a
> temp file or something?  Say, for each vertex number of ico, a row vector of
> subject vertex indices, in the order they are input to mris_surfglm.

You've basically got the method right. For each subject, I use the
?h.sphere.reg. For each vertex in average7/ico7, I find the vertex in
?h.sphere.reg which is closest. I don't have a way to save the mapping,
however. I'll keep that in mind for the next iteration.

> Also, if the above assumption is correct, the implication may be that some
> slight variations in registration (alignment accuracy might vary to within
> 1 - 10 vertices, perhaps) could have an impact on the results?  Is there any
> local vertex neighbourhood averaging of thickness values when extracting the
> individual subject values for the GLM?

Yes, you can specify smoothing on the surface using the the --nsmooth
option. This does iterative nearest-neighbor smoothing before resampling
to the sphere.

doug

--
Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.