Hi,

Ubuntu 23.04 has a regression in hinted font rendering and possibly RGB
subpixel rendering. I already tried replacing libfreetype with the last known
good version of 22.10 and compiled 2.13.0 to see if that made any improvements
but it didn't (as far as I can tell).

I do understand that distro specific issues are not FreeType's concern but
both Ubuntu developers and other contributors to the issue (including me) are
failing to understand what's happing and why e.g. MS's Verdana is rendered
using perfect hinting?

Could anyone knowledgeable about font rendering and hinting have a look at
this issue?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fonts-ubuntu/+bug/2017573

Best regards,
Martin