Le jeu. 30 avr. 2020 à 03:30, Alexei Podtelezhnikov <apodt...@gmail.com> a
écrit :

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 8:34 PM David Turner <da...@freetype.org> wrote:
> >
> > Starting a thread here to discuss potential build system improvements
> for FreeType.
> >
> > The current FreeType 2 build system has many flaws. To its credit, it
> was designed in a very different time, when things like CMake / Meson /
> Ninja/ Maven / GN / Bazel didn't even exist, when Autotools was considered
> the best system to configure your build (ah!), and GNU Make 3.81 was
> considered new and bleeding edge, and didn't necessarily exist for all
> platforms. I'm not even sure pkg-config was available on all Linux distros
> until quite a long time. As I said ... very different times.
>
> Most serious projects I have encountered so far use ./configure; make.
> It is the libtool that annoys me. They refused to implement
> -fvisibiity=hidden  when I asked. They said that libtool was current
> when building shared libraries was hard, which is actually true. Let's
> just get rid of libtool as whatever it does for us is quite minimal.
>
> As far as I understand, libtool exists because building shared libraries
for ten different Unix-like system is a portability nightmare.
On the other hand, building them for a standard Linux distribution, or OS
X, is a well known problem, so we may consider keeping autotools/libtool as
an escape hatch for esoteric systems that still exist, and use something
simpler/better for Linux and OS X?