On 6/8/20 5:59 AM, Alexei Podtelezhnikov wrote:
On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 7:37 AM Werner LEMBERG <w...@gnu.org> wrote:
Since nobody does development on DOS or Windows 9x anymore, we can
finally drop the requirement to use file names limited to the 8.3
format, which was the reason why the FT_LONG_HEADER_NAME_H macros
were introduced in the first place.  [...]

Here's my patch, condensing your commits, adding some documentation,
and fixing some glitches.  Please check!

We can remove <ft2build.h> as well, can't we? It is only used to
define the macros. So it is either ft2build.h and macros or neither.

Not until all the consumers of FreeType are adapted to use direct
header inclusion instead of the macros, which is likely to take years
from the point you announce the macros are deprecated and that it's
okay to use direct header names - especially those who were burned
in the past by not using the macros when the headers got moved or
renamed.  In a few years you should be able to stop installing it
by default, and only install if an option is specified to request
it, much like is done for freetype-config today.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-               alan.coopersm...@oracle.com
         Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/alanc