I think I agree with this - the spec should not bend on
limitations/quirks/bugs in freetype. It isn't the role of the spec to recommend
fonts to be built in with special "hints", just because one implementation, in
its current state, can't render satisfactorily without those "hints".
And, we must stress, "in its current state". Who knows, somebody might decide
to ripe it all out and rewrite it differently, etc. :-).

    On Tuesday, 19 December 2023 at 23:55:42 GMT, Skef Iterum