On Wednesday, May 3, 2023 3:45:21 PM CEST Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> I've just tested a self-compiled version of current git, together with
> the `ftview` demo program, using UbuntuMono-R.ttf (version 0.8, last
> modified 2011-09-26).  Attached is a screenshot of the following call
>
>   ftview -kA5 -e unic 16 UbuntuMono-R.ttf
>
> This is B/W monochrome rendering with full hinting.  As can be seen,
> the result is just fine.  I'm quite confident that the problem is
> *not* with FreeType.

This is a regression from 22.10 to 23.04 and Ubuntu(-mono) has seen some
changes since 22.10, so let's compare the same font, because I do suspect
weird (libfreetype?) behaviour on Ubuntu 23.04 which I can't explain.

Attached is a screenshot of OpenSans-VariableFont_wdth,wght.ttf using the same
commandline. It clearly shows bad hinting and I'm convinced this looked better
hinted on 22.04, so I suspect it will look correct on your system too?

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Open+Sans

I also attach the hinted non-AA ftinspect view of the same font.

ftview and ftinspect were compiled against freetype 2.13.0. As far as I can
tell, I'm using libfreetype 2.13.0 to render fonts on my system (I don't know
whether that's important for ftview and ftinspect?)

Martin