Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> I'm totally agains auto-scale things and IMHO Pygame scaling sucks :)

What do you mean with Pygame scaling sucks? You mean image scaling? We
could skip to use PIL for scaling, maybe it looks better.

> It's not too difficult to adapt the skin (manually) to use the idle
> bar... we could do like this: You release the skins without the idle
> bar and later we (I/you/dischi/rob/someone) convert it to the idlebar
> format... Then we make a poll asking users what one they prefer/use
> more. From the poll results we define if it's better to release the
> version with or the version without the idlebar (but we try to release
> the other version as soon as possible).
>
> Also, we should do that with our self-scalable skins (800x600, 640x480,
> ...) when we make a new release we should create independently skin
> files and ICONS and BACKGROUND IMAGES... so when you decide to
> customize your 640x480 skin (and you're a poor user) you don't have to
> go through all the skin/xml/type1/*.fxd files to find how to change the
> font color :)

I disagree. We also need to support 720x576 for DXR3 PAL and 720x4xx
for NTCS. Maybe there is a (rich) user outside with a beamer and he
wants 1024x768. I don't want to make any skin change for every
resolution. Maybe the skin inherit stuff is too complicated, maybe one
basic skin is the way to go, the user only has to grep the ksin file
he uses and this basic skin to find the changes.

> It's easy for us (developers) but it is stupid, because Freevo needs to
> recalculate everything everytime

Only on startup. When Freevo starts, he recalculates the geometry
values in the 800x600 skin to fit the current resolution. At runtime,
there is no scaling at all. So no stupid pygame scaling.

For the idle bar I was thinking about: if idlebar, then set skin width
to with - some-value. ONLY at startup! All other values will be
transformed to the new geometry.

>> I also would like to remove the hardcoded x positions of the idlebar
>> plugins. Each plugin should get x where to draw and returns the width
>> it used. Based on the plugin level, this should look much better
>> (except the clock, it is always on the right site). BTW, how to set
>> idle bar fonts and colors? In the skin or as plugin parameter?
>
> IMHO, as parameter.
> Also, we could define if the idlebar is vertical or horizontal.

Agreed! Maybe left/right/top/bottom.

> And to choose the position we could define that positive numbers are
> left->right or top->bottom, negative ones are right->left (ie, clock)
> and bottom->up.

I don't know how to do that right now, but I will think about
it. Right now, we have a (sorted) list of plugins for the idlebar, no
way to define for each plugin on what position it wants. Maybe again,
a paramter for the plugin (left or right).

Half of the troubles of this life can be traced to saying yes too
quickly and not saying no soon enough. - Josh Billings