On Sunday 06 January 2008 17:39, Tanja wrote:
> Hi Thorsten,

Hi Tanja,

> we were very happy with the data from epgdata during the last year or so.
> After asking them by mail, if it is possible to use their data, we got a

[some german XMLTV alternatives skipped]

> We used that in the past, but then it stopped working and also there are
> newer versions now, I had not luck to get it running again...

In the meantime, I've also found another alternative. I've found it here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XMLTV#Germany.2FAustria

Under "TV Movie" there is a script described (tvm2xml) which creates XMLTV
with the help of the tvm2vdr scripts. tvm2xml only works with mythtv, but I
have made a few changes so that it now also works without myth. (I have
attached my version to this post.)
It is far from being perfect, but it produced XMLTV which could be understood
by my freevo installation (1.7.3).

An interesting feature delivered with tvm2vdr is the file channels.pl. It
contains a list of most german channels with the channel ids of the different
sources. This also includes the id for DVB-S...

This is an interesting alternative because it seems to be used by quite a few
people and so it is quite probable that someone will keep maintaining it. In
addition, it understands multiple sources (not only TV Movie). I believe that
the three most commonly used linux applications (or frameworks) for
viderecording etc. are freevo, vdr and mythtv. IMHO, it would be a good idea
if all of them used the same EPG sources.

>  From an older post of yours, I see that you are using dvb-s as tv source.
> You wrote, that you used a patched version of nxtvepg. Is that version
> working with budget dvd cards, that do not use the video4linux api?
Mmmm... This all was quite a time ago.
I don't really know. It needs devices like /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0.
I believe that you need video4linux for this. My card is a Hauppauge WinTV
NOVA-S-Plus. I believe that this is "full featured", at least I can record
multiple services from a transponder.

> Where
> did you get it?
Basically, it is a plain nxtvepg-2.8.0pre12 from the nxtvepg homepage. I've
found a patch (forgot where...) for 2.8.0_pre5 which introduced reading from
a DVB-pid. However, this did not really work well and I changed it a bit
myself.
You need another program for the tuning and keeping the channel like...
         mplayer dvb://"kabel eins" -dumpstream -dumpfile /dev/null
...then I can grab
        nxtvepgd -provider 0D92 -dvbpid 34 -acqonce full -nodetach
...and read the results and convert to XMLTV
        nxtvepg  -provider 0D92 -dump xml -outfile /tmp/TV.xml

I have written a freevo plugin (also attached here) which allows to control
the grabbing process. In addition, it is run when the system switches off.
The script contains hard-coded absolute paths, so it will not run anywhere
else...

If you are interested in this, I could try to create a version which also
works elsewhere. ...only if there's someone willing to test it...

> You seemed not to be satisfied with that solution, why?
It does not contain all the channels. (E.g. "das vierte" and the ARD and ZDF
digital channels).
The data is not really perfect. E.g. I have not found a good possibility to
find out if something is the same episode of a series etc.
I can not run it in parallel with other stuff. It would disturb recording/
watching TV. This is something I could change, but maybe another solution
would be better.
It is rather home-grown and nobody else seemed really interested in it. With
all that EPG-stuff, it is not a good idea to be the only one using it. Things
change too fast.

> Another solution would be to use the epg data that is included in the
> dvb-stream. Did you have any experiences in that area?
Yes, I have made some experiments with tv_grab_dvb. After changing the source
code a bit, I could really made it create freevo-friendly XML files. However,
I've not really followed this up. You need to care for the tuning yourself
and for proper freevo integration, I'd need a script which cycles through all
the transpoenders etc.
In addition, it only delivers data for a few days and not all the stations
deliver this data.
However, this might be a good plug-and-play solution. The channel names in the
DVB EPG should be the same as in the DVB channels list.

Another bit I tried was tv_grab_ttx which is a development from the nxtvepg
folks. It grabs EPG data from videotext. I have not really followed this up.

Regards,
        Tanja