On 12-06-10 08:27 AM, Anders Eriksson wrote:
> Not fixed in git as of today. A quick glance at the code suggests that
> this chunk of code assumes IPv6 somehow. I have a ipv4 only system
> (kernel w/ CONFIG_IPV6 not set). Do I_have_  to enable v6 to get this to
> work?

Ah, well this explains why socket(AF_INET6, SOCK_STREAM) fails.  Yes,
kaa.Socket assumes a dual stack OS.

I have been meaning to change this for an unrelated reason.  (That is,
I'm not terribly interested in supporting the extremely rare case of a
non-IPv6 capable Linux system, but there are some functional problems
with using v4-mapped addresses on a v6 socket that I wasn't aware of
when I wrote this code.)

So until I make those changes, I'm afraid you will need CONFIG_IPV6 for
this to work.

> (Being a c guy, I know there are version independent c socket
> interfaces. I would assume the same holds for python. How come version
> specific coding here?)

Because dual stack is ubiquitous, especially on Linux, and because v6
sockets can support both v6 and v4 (via IPv4-mapped addresses)
connections, and for those reasons it seemed like a good idea at the
time (which was before I read [1]).

Cheers,
Jason.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cmetz-v6ops-v4mapped-api-harmful-01