---
F R E N D Z  of martian
---

Subject: GeeK: NanoTechnology
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 16:29:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry Plato)

[Mod: this has come up on geeks@ before, but they've got some amazing
      new pictures up, check it out. -d.]

Hey Monkeys, I ran across this at work today.  Sandia Labs has improved
a process to manufacture multilayer devices on a chip, and to mix those
mechanical devices with traditional CMOS ones.  They call it MEMS,
micro electromechanical systems.  The current system is 4 layer and
can produce motors a few tens of microns across and gears and locks and
stuff.  They give an example of a motor driving a gear to lift a mirror.
Can you say optical cross connects?  :-)  Anyhow, it seems worthy for my
first post to [EMAIL PROTECTED],

http://www.mdl.sandia.gov/micromachine/images.html

Larry Plato

http://mp3.com/martian/