From: Mike Harris [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 02 May 2001 10:26
To: multiple recipients of
Subject: RE: for those of us who can't be there...

---
F R E N D Z  of martian
---
Well it did make national news headlines in Spain.  It was quite bizarre to
watch as the pictures of the protests in Spain we full of large marches of
the two main unions here, in around about five or six of the main cities - a
sight I don't think seen on the shores of Great Britain for quite a while.
Then switching to the UK, we saw lots of colourful characters generally
looking like they were having fun, until the point that the police started
to beat them up - which the news-reader did comment on the overly strong
response from the UK police - not a union in sight though - or did they miss
that bit? - and not enough burning of the stars and stripes and the
ubiquitous McDonalds flag - seemed to be well up for that in South Korea and
Australia.

What is different about the UK is that in most countries, pro-worker or
anti-capitalism/consumerism/globalisation/Americanisation protests seem to
be the area of Unions and students, in the UK this isn't the case at all.

Funny to see pictures of Cuba, where the horrible communist bay of Mexico
outpost we calmly and collectively listening to Fidel Castro rant on about
those bastard Americans and the like.  Seemed a lot less barbaric than the
demonstrations of the democratic West and other westernised parts .....

Mike.