> I wouldn't be surprised if software development was actually
> exponential, however it is harder to measure improvement, and the
> improvement is not a smooth as hardware improvement.

I guess that we would like to have a general measure of the growth of
software complexity, but I don't know if there is anything like that,
nor how easy would it be to develop... moreover to check... where
could we get the data of e.g. number of lines of code, or source code
size in Kb, of software for the last 20 years or so???

A rough and naive way would be to check e.g. the size in KB of the
installation files of a certain software, e.g. Linux, Windows, MS
Office, Corel Draw, AutoCAD...
(with Linux it's quite difficult, because a minimal version of it can
fit in a couple of floppies, all the rest are add-ons...)

Best regards,

     Carlos Gershenson...
     Centrum Leo Apostel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
     Krijgskundestraat 33. B-1160 Brussels, Belgium
     http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~cgershen/

   “Tendencies tend to change...”