My wife found an excellent book that appears to have a number of interesting
connections to MOTH, NetLogo implementations, and emergent properties of
stochastic systems: "Laws of the Game: How the Principles of Nature Govern
Chance" by Manfred Eigen and Ruthild Winkler.  The original German ISBN:
0-394-41806-9, now 0-06-090971-4.  It's vintage 1981 but the principles are
remarkably current.  I've got one or ten questions related to this I'd like to
ask at the FRIAM meeting tomorrow.  Of course you haven't had time to read
this, so I'll bring it along because it's very well illustrated.